Monday, April 4, 2011

Discipline

If discipline is not one of the most difficult aspects of parenting, then I do not know what is. I am not sure if it is finding the right consequence to fit the action without letting emotion rage, or if it is the consistency and follow-thru, or the fact that due to the nature of being a stay at home mom I am the one that does most of the disciplining....but it all just wears on me. I swear the kids have tuned out the tone and pitch in which my voice resides (Grant says I do the same to the kids, which when other adults are around I do....I just want to hear and talk to someone other than them, so yes I am guilty.) Today Asher was royally pushing it with me, so I resorted to something I never do...I called Grant. I think I just needed a calm voice to make sure I did not raise mine. He talked to Asher, and Asher realized that dad would not save him and what mom says goes...it did not make Asher behave, but it sure made me behave and not lose it. I guess I need to call on my better half more often if nothing more than to back me up and let the kids know mom and dad are in this together.

5 comments:

SuSu said...

I think Grant would agree but at least we always felt we were on the same page. That no matter which parent they went to the answer was the same. But for me the hardest part of all of it was following through with the discipline. Some days were harder than others that I do remember.

Annie. said...

Brittany! I can't believe you posted this tonight. I went through the exact same thing with Eli today - him out of control, me calling Talon at a loss of what to do, the whole bit. I definitely think discipline is the hardest part of parenting! And we are only just BARELY starting the discipline stage! I may call you for advice!

Chels said...

I makes me think of one of my favorite talks from conference on how sometimes we are given kids to teach us. Scott and I had a good laugh at that.

Holly said...

I gotta always pull out the big guns and call dad!! Its all I have anymore:)

Hello. My name is Meshan. said...

Oh I feel your pain! Somedays I need the calm voice of reason to soothe me so I don't resort to child abuse.