Saturday, June 23, 2012

Names

I think I have about the two easiest last names on the planet.  Webb, my last name for nearly 23 years...simple, yes very simple.  It did get spelled wrong occasionally (Web) which actually happens more often now with the World Wide Web...so slightly understandable.  Now for the last 12 years I have had the last name Allred...simple enough right.  It is a compound word All+Red...we all know those words right?  So why is it that no one can seem to figure it out.  When people ask for my last name I say Allred nice and slow and very clear.  Inevitably I get asked how to spell it. I think most of the time when I spell it out for people they feel really stupid (I would if I were them).  But I get asked that favor every week.  I have actually gotten to the point that I say it and then immediately begin to spell it, it just saves time.  But the spelling is not the only issue.  When people have it written in front of them they never manage to say it right.  I  get called Alfred and Allerd more than I do Allred.  Maybe if it was always typed Allred people would get it.  I am just curious why our school system and reading programs have failed so many people.  But I have the proof that it is true.  But it does not end there.  When people know how to say our last name they still manage to spell it wrong.  Yep, Allread is the new Allred.  So maybe I should stop thinking Allred is so easy and come to the realization that for most people (for reasons COMPLETELY unknown to me) it is not.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Fun isn't it?! That always drove me nuts. Our last name gets spelled wrong all the time... Frankum. lol! Just looking @ that makes me laugh. Can't they tell by looking @ it, it's spelled wrong!

SuSu said...

Welcome to my world. So two of my personal favors: Allbred and Allandred. That one came from saying, "you know like "all" and "red" So I like you have found it just simpler to spell it before they even ask!!

Ashley Allred said...

totally true!

Mikael Squire said...

I know exactly what you mean! To me one b in Webb looks funnier than two, and I am CONSTANTLY spelling Squire for people. I don't think there are many easy to spell Squire, but apparently it is hard.