Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hippity Flop

So, For Christmas Santa brought the family two new pets. Aquatic African Dwarf frogs. We have loved them. They are funny little creatures. The kids named them Hippity and Hop. We got a bigger tank and put them together with the fish. It has provided great entertainment. Even Isaac loves to watch the frogs and giggles. Well...yesterday I noticed a white growth on the back of Hippity. I took a picture and sent a message to Grant asking if he knew what it might be. He had no clue. Later that night we started looking it up and discovered it was a fungal infection. We immediately went to work. We Quarantined the frog and mixed together a salt water solution that was said to kill the fungus. I was worried about the frog and so were the kids.

I kept checking on the frog and he seemed to be doing ok. I went to watch a show and checked on him a bit later. He was floating upside down in his tank. I freaked, holy cow I killed our frog. I went to pick him up and he started moving. We immediately put him in fresh water and I tried everything to help him and nurse him back (which is really nothing.) It did not take long for him to die. I felt terrible. We were following advice and tried to get rid of the fungus before the fungus killed him, and in the process killed him first. I seriously was on the verge of tears last night. I really liked this frog!
I was telling a friend about it today and she said, well hippity flopped. How can you not laugh at that! Needless to say new frogs are on the way, we now have a disinfectant solution in the tank water, and I am rethinking whether or not I really should have the charge of pets.

7 comments:

brit said...

Allison is freakin' hilarious. That being said, sorry about the frog :)

Anonymous said...

I am starting to think you jinxed it the other day when we where talking about the frogs. Also beginning to think that a dog isn't so much work after all

Amy said...

I'm sorry, but that is funny. I hope this next set won't flop on you.

SuSu said...

Sorry, I just have to laugh. Please laugh with me!

Chels said...

Oh poor hippity!

Ashley Allred said...

Oh man! I'm sorry but Justin and I are laughing so hard right now!! I feel so bad for your guys' luck with water pets! Did you have a burial service for this one too...Justin wants to know?? lol.

Mikael Squire said...

Haha! Sorry, but your luck with aquatic animals is just too funny. Maybe the new ones will be even cuter than the last one.