Friday, March 6, 2009

What is a mom to do?


So...Jamison had a rough day yesterday. When I went to pick her up from school the teacher informed me that she was not good. She was not following directions and when the teacher told her to do something she stuck her tongue out at the teacher. The teacher told her that she was going to talk to her mom, and she replied in a snooty voice, "Mom my is not here." As the teacher is telling me this with Jamison there she says, "Jamison was really hateful today." Now maybe I am oversensitive, but I really have issues with a teacher using the terminology hateful at all but even more so in regards to my child. Her teacher is a good teacher, but I just think her and James have a personality conflict. I am very concerned because Jamison has been kind of a turkey the last couple of weeks at home, and now at school. I want her to learn to respect adults and how to treat them, there is no question about that. I am starting to think that maybe she needs more time at home and she would be better. I am really considering pulling her out at half day, which is a very tough decision because she will miss a lot of the fun stuff. I feel like I do not have enough time with her, and maybe she is needing just a little more one on one. I want her to be excited about school, not dread it already. I want to do what is best for her, but I am not sure what that is. I am going to meet with her teacher on Monday to try and figure out what is best for her. I am sure some day I will look back on this whole incident and laugh, but right now I am just concerned. I want her in public school, I think it is really good for her, I just wish Kindergarten was only half day. What to do, what to do.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Ouch... I'm so sorry. That is a tough one. I have tons and tons of websites with school stuff, let me know if you want any of them. I don't think the teacher should have said that, especially in front of James.

Chels said...

I am sorry but I did laugh. She is just so cute to me, don't worry I know you laugh at my kids when I don't want to. I know you'll figure out what is best for her. Right now all kids are just tired of school, it doesn't help to have a teacher she doesn't click with.

Regina said...

I have to agree with the half day kindergarten! I hate full day. I think it's too long for kids this age. I had a really hard time with this the whole school year when Nick was in kindergarten. Good luck figuring out what to do. I know it's hard, but as the parents, we are our kids best advocate!

Kassie, Aaron and Boys said...

I am going to only put Sam in for half of a day, and try to plan other fun things for him to do when he gets home I don't understand why they would have to be there all day. My niece is going to kindergarden and only goes from 8:30 to 12:30 I think that is a great time, I don't know why they don't do that here. I know that every child is different, and that you will know what to do.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I want to stick out my tongue at life too...luckily little kids aren't as inhibited as us! *wink* Spring is always a little more restless for young ones! Kids jobs are to test the boundries, I imagine that hateful is completely the WRONG description. Give yourself a break...you ARE teaching her well!

Aneesa Bee said...

How frustrating! And, I totally agree on the half day kindergarten. I think it is so frustrating that a 5 year old is expected to be away from their parents for that stretch of time and excel while doing it. Good luck figuring everything out. I had a principal down there tell me that New Mexico law requires that the school provide half day kindergarten if the parent requests it. Hard to find the best of both worlds, isn't it?

Ashley Allred said...

Jama??? Sassy?? Couldn't happen. She's our little angel. I don't know what to tell you, but kids have phases. And hopefully this phase will pass soon! Sorry. Good luck!