Thursday, April 1, 2010

Scary moment

Isn't it interesting how when you are scared a second can feel like minutes. I can think of very few things that have scared me more than losing a child. When we were at Grant's triathlon we lost Asher. There were so many family members there I thought he was with one of them. When we all dispersed and left to leave, Asher was gone. We started looking for him, and I started calling everyone to see if he was with them. Grant eventually found him on the other side of the field cheering on the racers. Asher said he was trying to get away from the music because it was too loud.

For the first time today, recently enough my stomach is still churning, I was brought to tears because I thought another child was missing. Jamison gets home like clockwork from the bus. She was 5 minutes late and I thought it was odd. Ten minutes came and I was really getting worried. I was vacuuming and wondered if I just did not hear the bus and she was outside. I went out and yelled for her, with no response. I got the kids all loaded in the car and drove to the school, following the bus route just in case the bus was having problems. I got to the school, went to the office and her classroom and she was no where to be found. We found the teacher that lined the kids up for the bus and said Jamison was in line. The office lady said she would call the bus, and have people look around the school. I was going home to look around for her at home and check with the neighbors (which I really did not think she would go to without checking in with me.) On the way home the office called to tell me she called the bus and they said she never got on the bus. I was going to call Chelsey to make sure she did not by chance go home to her house...though that is so not like her. I called Grant, he did not answer. I called again, this time in tears and got out I cannot find Jamison, she never came home. He asked if I was serious just in time for me to pull up to the house and find Jamison sitting in front in tears too. I guess the bus made a mistake and thought they asked for Jennifer Allred. They also changed the route, where we usually are the 2nd drop off, and made us the last. Yes it is possible for all things to go wrong to really freak a mother out. I am just glad she is safe and home with me. Now if nothing like that can ever happen again I will be good.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Just reading it made my stomach go in knots! Such an unpleasant feeling that no mother should have to live through.
So glad we're all safe and sound!
Xo

brit said...

oh my gosh, that is so scarey!!! i would have been bawling. when andrew was 3 i lost him at ladera. i had half the school out looking for him. it was the longest 10 minutes of my life. so sorry, glad it was a good ending!!

Regina said...

That is the scariest thing ever!! It has happened to me too!

SuSu said...

Wow,as I'm reading this I'm thinking I know the end is good because today is today and the experience was yesterday but all the while anxious to get to the end. What a frightful experience. Glad everyone is home and safe.

Holly said...

My heart leaps in my throat when I think of losing one of my kids! Scariest feeling ever! I am so glad she was at home:))

Ashley Allred said...

Yeah that is scarey. I'm glad you found her. Poor Jama just sitting on the doorstep wondering where her family is. I bet that was soooo scarey for her!! I can't imagine being on the other end like she was. Hugs and Kisses!!!

Mikael Squire said...

That is my biggest fear also! My only nightmares are ones where the nieces and nephews disapear. My heart was pounding just reading it! SO SO SO glad it turned out ok

Chanel said...

Ugh! Hate, Hate, Hate that feeling. I actually told my kids at Sea World this last time that I was sooooo glad they were old enough that I was not constantly counting them. Then we went to the beach, HGE waves, days of undertows, and surfers everywhere, and freezing water. My kids decided to get in, and then go further, and further. I start to have to be uncontrollably nervous ans they continue to go further ad further. They have to dodge a surfer that nearly takes them out (mm- seriously) all I can think of is the crazy waves and currents (I have never been to California Beaches when they were like this) finally I grab all the crap (so it doesn't get stolen) and head out to tell them to get their butts closer to shore (did I say how cold it was). I guess the panic goes form losing a helpless child, to them getting too brave to realize they could still be helpless! Glad everyone at your home is safe and sound.