Thursday, November 18, 2010

Only a stay at home mom

I was talking to someone the other day that was telling me about an experience they had. Someone had expected her to be able to do something and prefaced it with, "Well I thought you could because you are only a stay at home mom." Now it turns out she redacted that comment because she had too once been a "stay at home mom", but it got me thinking. I do not think people fully comprehend what it is and what it requires to be a stay at home mom. Only is the word that gets me. It is more than a full time job. No one can really know what it is like until they are in the thick of it. There are exhausting days with no thanks or monetary gain at the end of it. You can never leave work, even in the middle of the night being a stay at home mom is still with you. It requires being a teacher, a nurse, a counselor, a friend, a disciplinarian, a maid and cook, an accountant, a taxi, and so much more. Though I do not envy those that have to work, There are occasions (more than a few) where I offer to trade Grant jobs for a day...he does not hesitate saying no way, your job is way harder than mine. That said, I would not trade doing it for money, fame, praise, prestige or anything (well except maybe a break.) Because I am home I get to talk with my kids, laugh with them, cry with them, teach them, help them, and simply be with them. We need to get that only word out of there and proudly proclaim , "I am a stay at home mom...with ALL that it entails!"

7 comments:

Amy said...

Amen, sista!

SuSu said...

She took the words right out of my mounth.......... AMEN! That word only is a pet peeve of mine....if ONLY they knew!

Annie. said...

So true! It is the busiest and BEST job in the world!

Holly said...

Very true! I have had that feeling that some think all we do is sit on the couch and eat ice cream all day. HARDLY! I am so busy eahc and everyday that I cant imagine having to be a mother that works outside the home. But I have friends that think I am crazy for staying at home, they would much rather put their kids in daycare than to have to stay at home. Bummer too because I think we have the BEST job in the world:)

Ashley Allred said...

AMEN!! love this! (you can't just "clock out" for lunch or at the end of the day either!) :)

Cindi said...

The greatest rewards always come with a price unfortunately. Some days are never ending, exhausting, and thankless. But the tender mercies come after the bone tiring, pushed to your limit moments, allow a warm feverish body curled up next to yours while the night is dark and the emotions are reaching beyond your capacity and the spirit overwhelms you that you are doing the most sacred work in eternities.

Perry, Christi and Logan said...

SOOO dang true