Monday, July 6, 2009

I am Woman hear me Roar

I am having a prideful moment, so if I am going to have one of the seven deadly sins, I might as well share.

I was cleaning out the fridge, making dinner and doing the dishes when I discovered a clogged kitchen sink.....not conducive to any of the aforementioned projects. I tried a few tricks, tried to call Grant (with no success) and proceeded to take on the challenge. (I really did not want a counter top full of dirty dishes, Grant would not be home any time soon, and I did not want him to have to deal with it after a long day of work.) I cleaned out the trap and found nothing unusual when Grant called. He told me to do a few things, but it was not helping the problem and he had to go. I assessed the situation, looked at the plumbing, and started to dig in. After removing several of the pipes I found the problem, fixed it and continued with the projects.

What a great feeling to do things when the first thought that crosses my mind is "I am a girl, I do not know how to do this." There are several things I am proud I can do (even though probably every other girl/woman out there is thinking duh, anyone can do that especially me.)

I fixed a plumbing problem all myself
I can do small drywall patching and texturing like no other
I can mow and edge the lawn almost as good as my husband
I have fixed computer malfunctions all on my own (disclaimer...I learned processes from my hubby)
5 years ago I put together our grill on my own, and it has never let me down
Several pieces of furniture in our house have been assembled by yours truly

It is a small list (good thing I am not making a list of things I cannot do, it would be MUCH longer) but I had a moment of gratification and I need to remember these small things when my focus on the bigger list overwhelms me.

4 comments:

SuSu said...

Great job! Shout out to you!

Mikael Squire said...

I hope mo reads this and directs her "you need to be more girly" comments towards you. JK. You do Woman!

Holly said...

You go girl! We are supposed to learn how to take care of things ourselves. I feel as women we can do more than men. Not stepping on my hubby's toes here but I find it wonderful that I know how to do things he has a hard time doing too:)
PS- I am going to call you when I have a clogged sink!

Mikael Squire said...

p.s. LOVE the new pic on your banner. SO DANG CUTE