Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tell me again Why????

So, last night was Monday night, hence FHE. Grant closed, so as soon as he got home we ate dinner and cleaned up. It was time for a quick FHE before bed. We always start with a song and prayer and then Grant wanted to talk about faith. The whole time kids were squirming, Mique was screaming on purpose to make Asher laugh. Caleb kept wanting to talk about something else, James was actually kind of trying. I let Mique try and offer the opening prayer because when we ask whose turn she always throws both arms up in the air and yells. I thought it might be a good start. At first all was silent and she was mumbling something after I said the words. The boys kept laughing uncontrollably, which made Mique squeal with delight...I on the other hand was not delighted. By the end of our quick little "show" and still even today I am asking myself, so why do WE even try????

7 comments:

Amy said...

I hear you sister... but we try because someday they won't be screaming and will actually listen. I have the feeling that window will be short, then we'll go into the phase of them just ignoring us with there head in their hands. I think they listen more then we give them credit for sometimes.

brit said...

i loved reading that. you have such a cute family and i can totally picture the boys giggling during the prayer.

Rachel Clare said...

*big sigh of relief*
i always love hearing these stories because it makes me feel so much more... normal.
and, i loved elder bednar's talk on consistency this past conference- knowing that his kids did the same thing was helpful. :)

SuSu said...

We do it because we love them plus it helps us with the patience we will need when they are older!

Holly said...

I once read or heard a talk somewhere about the same situation in a family...and all of ours is like this! But in the talk the person was so frustrated with trying to hold FHE and daily family prayers and scripture time. Thye felt as though their efforts were not being heard but then they had this experience with one of their children who had later on repeated one of their lessons they had in FHE to a friend of theirs in school and helped that friend out. So even though I wish i could fins that talk and give it to you just know that the moral of the story is that our kids DO hear us and it is worth having, even if it feels in vain. Your kids are great and it shows because of great parents:)

Kara said...

I'm with you on this one. I figure even if they don't remember the lesson, they remember that we tried and that it was important to us. But, that doesn't mean it doesn't frustrate me to no end.

Aneesa Bee said...

What?? FHE at our house is ALWAYS perfect. I don't know what the rest of you are talking about he he he. And Britni--what is this??? Two weeks apart WHICH WAY??? WOW how fun.