Friday, August 12, 2011

Little Minds

I love to watch how the little minds of our kids work. The other day Isaac took a water bottle out of the case. I told him to put it back. He walked over to the case and tried to put it back. But, it was not fitting the way he was trying. He looked at it for a minute and then tried several different angles until he got it back in. It never ceases to amaze me (even with the fifth kid) how well they comprehend, can follow commands, and problem solve before they can say a word.

Grant and I were also witness to something pretty amazing in Asher's thinking (at least we thought.) He was playing a game with Jamison and Caleb. Caleb was on one side of a wall throwing a football over it to Asher and James. Whoever got to the ball first got to throw it back over. Asher was a tad slower than James and rarely got the ball. He was getting frustrated and a little upset. We just told him to try to get to the ball faster. After several times of James getting the ball first, he finally got it. Instead of throwing it over the wall he walked over to Jamison, extended the ball to her and asked, "Are you going to be nice to me now." She answered yes, took the ball, and threw it over. From then on out, no matter who got the ball first, they took turns alternating who got to throw it.

Seriously, what four year old thinks to himself, "You know what, I think I will give up an instant satisfaction for a greater return in the end. If I share with my sister after finally getting it, she just might share with me." The answer to that is our dear Asher. This kid's mind is AMAZING. My mom thinks the kids in these days need to be sharp for what they have ahead of them. I would agree, but there is just something about the way he works...it is something else!

3 comments:

Amy said...

He is amazing. Your right, what 4 year old thinks like that...

brit said...

he is sooooo stinkin smart. i don't know if i have ever met a 4 year old that thinks like that. smartie pants.

SuSu said...

I second the amazing part. He is just amazing on so many levels. Wow!