Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Five years ago today, this little boy came to our family. I had been having contractions for days, per my usual...and had not slept well in several night. Three days after his due date we had a induction scheduled. The night before that I was having contractions strong enough (yet no closer than 8 minutes apart) to not allow me to sleep. I stayed up all night. I watched a lot of music videos and Sleepless in Seattle. I heard the song Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day so many times that night. Now every time I hear that song I think of Caleb. The next morning we went to the hospital. At 8 o'clock they put me on the pit. I remember the contractions getting very painful and the nurse would not stop talking to me...I was bugged. His heart rate kept dropping, so they had me sign all the forms for a c-section just in case. By a bit after 11:00 I was feeling the pain and asked for an epidural. I was told no because they were getting the doctor to take me in for a c-section and they would do a spinal there. Not too comforting for a women in the middle of labor...both the prospect of surgery and also lack of relief from pain. By the time the doctor got there I was about ready to push, so he opted against the c-section and to just get him into this world. After just a few pushes our little boy joined the outside world with the cord wrapped around his neck several times. He was just fine and looked perfect to both Grant and I (and believe me Grant looked him over quire well, esp his eyes.) I would not have thought natural labor would have been so good, the recovery was awesome! What a sweet addition he was to our family...and it just keeps getting sweeter! Happy birthday little man, we love you!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Ahh, look at how tiny he was! Cant believe he will be going to school this year!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday buddy! Wow 5, that is when I thought life began. Hard to believe.

SuSu said...

Sending you birthday wishes with lots of hugs and kisses.

Mikael Squire said...

Happy Birthday little man! Getting too big!