Friday, February 5, 2010

Athena

Athena came to our family when Caleb was 5 weeks old. I have to admit our relationship for the first couple of years was not ...well fabulous. I had little patience for potty training, and she was not easy. She came around and turned into a really good dog. She is fairly mild as far as boxers go. I have only heard her bark about five times in her five years. She is as friendly and loving as they come (to the point of helping a robber to carry out a tv if it meant she got loves.) The last couple of weeks she was what I termed depressed, just laying around with a sad look on her face. I tried to play with her, but she quickly became uninterested. Then the more potent signs of sickness set it. She stopped eating and had flu-like symptoms. After almost a week of cleaning up messes (on top of Mique being sick) I was beside myself. She got ill enough that I had to lift her up to get her on her feet and lift her to help her lay down. She finally ate, and regained some of her energy, but the bowels never got better. Being six months pregnant was not helping my situation. On Wed I took her in to the vet thinking they would give me some meds, and her issues would clear up and we could move on (ps, I was not in a good space when I took her.) After a short exam, and telling the vet the situation she did not hesitate to say that Athena needed to stay and get tests done. I called the next morning to get some of the results, but more tests were needed, and the only thing we know is that her liver might not be working. The thing that has been a little surprising to me it how not having her here feels weird. My routine is off, when I put the kids to bed, I put her to bed. As soon as we walk in the house, we let her out of her kennel. I keep going to do these things, but realize it is not necessary. The kids ask a lot of questions, even Jamison (and I always thought she did not really like Athena.) Asher cried when we left her with the vet. Caleb is counting down to her return. I guess I never realized how much she is a part of this family until now. So now it is the waiting game. Hopefully we get some results this evening.

4 comments:

SuSu said...

I've been thinking and thinking about her and all of you! Keep us posted.

Amy said...

I was just going to call you when I saw this post. I guess you probably don't know anything. I hope she starts feeling better.

Holly said...

Ahh. This is so sad. I am sorry for your pup. I hope she gets better soon:) Keep us all updated.
Thanks for your comments on my blog!

Angela said...

I hope your dog gets better. It's hard having a sick pet. Ours suddenly got ill like that. We took her to the vet but they didn't discover her problem, even when she died a week later. We have a "replacement dog" now and it's a trial to go through that training period and missing a good pet.