Monday, June 21, 2010

Lesson Learned (the hard way)

I am not proud (but not too ashamed) to admit that I have let the TV babysit my kids a little with the new baby and all. I taught the older two to turn it on and change it to 173 (playhouse Disney)...it is really the only thing I let them watch. It has worked out nicely and had let me get a few naps for the first couple of weeks. Well....i got my bill from dish and it was larger than usual so I examined it. There were a few VOD's (video on demands) charged, and Grant and I never order those. I called dish to find out if my kids accidentally had ordered them. Sure enough Valentines and Nine were ordered with the remote (note you have to approve it twice before you can view it and one was ordered 2 hours after the other). I was told nothing could be done because they were already ordered. I also noticed that there were a couple extra charges for the next bill and asked about those. The Conversation went something like the following:

Me: can you tell me what the charges are for next month
Rep: it looks like those were PPV (pay per view) that were also ordered
Me: What is the difference between VOD and PPV
Rep: both are movies that have to be ordered, just a different channel
Me: Is there anything that can be done about that?
Rep: unfortunately no because it was a valid order by remote
Me: Can you tell me what was ordered?
Rep: it looks like it was an adult movie
Me: what do you mean adult?
Rep: Umm adult content (said a little hesitantly)
Me: WHATTTTTT???????
Rep: yep
Me: can you tell me what time that was ordered
Rep I cannot tell you exactly, but it looks like it was about 10 am
Me: Yep that was my kids, nice.

He did help me lock the channels so it cannot be done again without the pass code, but almost $30 later I learned that letting the TV babysit might provide a way for inappropriate things to be ordered (going from Disney to that, not wasting time are we.)....sweet Brittani another shining mom moment!

7 comments:

brit said...

that Brittani, is hilarious! i laughed out loud reading that!! what do u mean adult movie? hehehehe

SuSu said...

oops!

Amy said...

Oh my! I could see Max doing something like that.

Annie. said...

I really shouldn't be laughing so I apologize...but that is hilarious! It's ok, there is give and take in life - a mom without naps and a newborn is a very unhappy mom indeed. It's unfortunate that we live in a world where we even have to worry about that kind of stuff accidentally happening. You live you learn!

Aneesa Bee said...

So now we know what you're really up to at 10 a.m. he he he. We'll be in Farmington Thursday and Friday--I'll have to call you and see what you're up to. I'm assuming you stay home all day and rest, right? :-)

Ashley Allred said...

Oh ouch! That's something you think would happen when they are older, ya know? Your kids are smart cookies! lol. Bummer!

The Hillan Family said...

I can't stop laughing! Shoot! I hate it when that happens! Your family is so cute! I loved the family pictures!