Friday, May 21, 2010

Letting go...just a little bit




This story starts several months ago when I asked Jamison what she wanted for her birthday. She responded without hesitation saying she wanted her ears pierced. I was not sure how Grant was going to react, so I decided to have Jamison tell him. He still thought I was trying to convince her, even though it was purely her idea. I waited about a month and brought it up again. He was not so sure about it. I told him I needed to know if he was not going to be okay with it so I had time to talk her out of it. He needed more time, so I gave it to him.




A few weeks before her birthday I asked Grant again and he said he did not know. I asked what his hang up was and he said he did not know. I asked him if it was because it meant his little girl was growing up...he thought for a second and said yeah, he thought that is what it was. He made sure that is what she wanted and gave his consent.




He originally did not want to have anything to with the actual act, but when I told him I planned to do it while he was gone for Father and Son camp out his tune changed. We altered the plans and did it all together on his way out of town. We met at the mall and all walked in together. It was a party with all the kids, Mammy, Harley and Jaycee. As we walked through the mall Grant let out a big nervous sigh, he was having a hard time (and I have to admit I had a moment thinking I cannot believe we are going to put holes in our daughter's head.) He held her hand all the way to the store relishing that time with her.




When we got to the store I stepped back and Grant sat with her and helped her pick the earrings she wanted. They brought out the stool and he crouched next to her holding her hand the whole time. It was so sweet and cool to watch this little father daughter bonding experience. She did wonderful and I think having Dad there helped.




Afterwards he just kept looking at her telling her how pretty she was. She just beamed...and I think he did too. As we were walking to the car he said, "is it just me or did she grow a couple of inches when they put those earrings in her ear." He is a best Dad ever and even though he had to let his girl grow up a little bit, he did it with grace and full participation. Such a good memory for me!




5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh that first picture just says sass! I love them. Give her a hug for me.

SuSu said...

Letting go is hard that is for sure. We just want our babies to be babies!

Ashley Allred said...

She looks so cute! Gifts will be fun and easy! If we ever have a girl, Justin and I decided on age 8. I got them when I was a baby and told him if we ever had a girl to let her get them when she was a baby. But justin says he wants her old enough to remember that it hurts so she won't want to get more. lol.

Annie. said...

What a sweet post. She looks so grown up and pretty, Grant was right!

I dread the day I have to start letting go...even just a little bit.

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to cry. What a special moment. Who would of thought that this little thing could bring up so many emotions but it really does. Grant is such a good dad.