Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Canning Maniac

Maniac is about the best term to describe what we did! Since Grant and I are on a big food storage kick this year I asked Chelsey to teach me how to can her famous apples. So she jumped on board and we talked Christi and Mom into it too. We really got started at about 9 am and went basically straight to 6 pm. We got yummy yummy apples from Kirby's orchard locally and went to town. All growing up my mom would tell us about how she hated canning when we were younger, so i just assumed I hated it too. I was so wrong. I really enjoyed it. Although my feet and legs were aching by the end of the day and I was all sticky and gross, it was more than worth all of it. I had a blast being with fam and chatting. I loved the finished product and the feeling of actually doing it myself. I am not ashamed to say I am proud of what we did. We canned 112 jars, and I am so excited how it looks in our storage. I am even more excited to consume it. I am even planning on doing it again next year, and possible expanding our inventory to pears and peaches...we will see.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is so awesome! That is how I felt after my canning day a few weeks ago. Although I probably would have enjoyed it much more doing things your way, I was home alone with kids which made it hard. But I still loved it! Nice job!

SuSu said...

I remember our days of canning with great fondness. It is one of the most gratifying feelings to sit back and see such beautiful jars of goodness. Peaches, pears and tomatoes were my favorite things to can.

Amy said...

Will there be samples available?

Chanel said...

I am jealous, I wish I was there. I guess I will have to just do it by myself someday:( Good for you guys though!

Holly said...

OH my your kids have gotten so big! I cant get over how old they all look. Very cute! And good job on canning your apples. I got into a big grape juice kick. It is a very rewarding thing to do.
I didnt know of you saw my comment on a previous post but I just wanted to say Hi! Love, Holly