Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Conversation with a Five Year Old


The other day I picked Jamison up from school. The conversation went something like this:

James: So Mom, what did you do today while I was at school?
Me: Well I picked up the house and talked to a lot of people on the phone.
James: Who did you talk to?
Me: I talked to aunt Amy for awhile.
James: Okay what did she say? And who else?
Me: I also talked to aunt Kimberly.
James: Did you talk to anyone else?
Me: I talked to aunt Chanel today too.
James: Oh, what else did you do?

I could not help but chuckle at how grown up she sounded. It really hit me hard that she has been paying attention to how I talk to her and was emulating that. A gentle reminder that I am teaching my kids by example (whether good or bad) and need to keep myself in check so the conversations we have are ones of which I can be proud. And by the way, James...slow down, you do not need to grow up so fast!


1 comment:

Chels said...

I love it. What a cutie. Kind of like the baby swimming in the ocean.