Friday, November 7, 2008

Last night was a momentous night for our little family. We finished reading the book of Mormon for the first time as a family. It took us 2 3/4 years to do, but we did it! I am so proud of us! At Stake Conference, that long ago, an area authority gave a talk in leadership meetings that really hit Grant. I do not remember all the details, but the gist of it was that it is easy to put off reading as a family, but if we do not start now, than when? Needless to say we started that following week. With the exception of very very few nights we read every day. I am pretty sure the kids did not get much of anything out of the words, but they have gotten something from it. If nothing else they have learned the habit of daily scripture study. They know the routine and let us know that after brushing teeth it is time for scriptures. They are becoming familiar with the terminology. They love to see the pictures of Christ. We bought the above Book of Mormon not far into our adventure, and it was the best investment for our family scripture study. I would highly recommend it to all families. It breaks each chapter up into subject sections, and makes it a manageable read for the kids. It has wonderful pictures throughout the book of the subject matters. Our kids love this Book of Mormon (it is evidenced by the wear and tear and broken binding.) I hope our kids grow to love to read it over the years and discover their own testimony. We are trying to help, but this has been just as good if not better for me. I am proud to say that our five year old and three year old have finished the Book of Mormon and that our two year old and 2 month old have heard it every day of their lives. We are starting over again today with the testimonies and a renewed effort (for me) to get more out of it this time. It is a great thing for our family, and I hope our kids grow to understand the importance. But for today, I am just plain proud of them!

5 comments:

brit said...

you guys are awesome! very impressive, with such small children.

Chanel said...

Good Job! I love that version also, and so do my kids.

SuSu said...

You are my inspiration.

Quarantine Coronacation said...

Awesome!!!

You guys are totally, mos def, the scriptorians. I love that book. We read from that one too. The kids like it.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I love it! We are still in the picture books trying to advance to the 'real deal'...we should do that soon!!