Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I was involved in a few things in high school. I played in the orchestra all three years. I ran for student body, but seeing as it was a popularity contest, I was not elected...oh well. But my main thing was running. I did cross-country and track. The longer the distance the better (3-6 miles was long then.) I was actually pretty decent at it. My Sophomore year our team took State! After high school I let running go for awhile. Twelve years later When the doctor asked me if I retained weight while nursing I picked it back up again in an attempt to lose the weight. In the process I found something I could do just for me. When Asher was five months old I ran my first half Marathon. I was thrilled that I was able to finish running the whole thing. Several months after that I ran another one, and just after Asher turned one I ran my first full marathon. It has been a great thing for me, and little did I know that this year it would become even more great! After having Miquelyn another half marathon was great motivation to get back in shape. The cool thing about this one is that I was able to do it with so many people. How cool that so many of my siblings or their spouse wanted to join in on the fun. We thought for sure there was no way we would all win the lottery and get accepted, but we did and got to do this together. How cool is that! Chanel and her family, Mikael and Mom came to support us all even though they were not running.

It was fun to keep in touch with everyone, talk about how our training was going and help each other prepare. I am truly grateful for the relationship I have with my brothers, sister and their spouses and kids. We have a great family that makes huge efforts to be together and enjoy each other!

We had a great training group in Farmington. Britney Nygren was there ever step of the way, but got injured just weeks before the race...next time she will be in the picture too. It was so nice to have each other to help motivate for the long runs on Saturday.

The best part about this whole things is that I got to do this one with my sweetheart. I never thought we would be doing this together. As I was riding the bus up to the race the first time I was nervous, scared and all by myself. I looked around and saw all these happy couples riding up together and got a little sad because I thought I would never be able to do that, I would always be riding the bus alone. Little did I know only two short years later I would be that couple others envied! I have the best husband ever. He claims to hate running, but he is actually good at it! I am so proud of him. I am so grateful that he stuck it out to do it together even though he claims he hated every minute of it. He did amazing, and it was incredible to be able to do it together. I improved my time from last Moab race by 4 minutes. I ran a 1:59 meeting my goal of wanting to go under 2 hours. Grant met his goal of going under 1:50 and ran a 1:48. It was a great weekend I will never forget! Thank you Grant for making yet another dream come true!



4 comments:

Holly said...

You are awesome for sticking with your goals of running! Good for you. And that is cool that Grant got to run with you and that you had such a strong support around you. I am running my first 5k on April 18th. I dont even know if I will do well but that is my plan. Thanks for inspiring me! PS- Did you get moved in?

SuSu said...

Great job and great dedication! I admire that in both of you.

Miquelyn Hollingsworth said...

Congratulations! I have been thinking about doing a half marathon, but I hate running...but I do it anyway. There have been so many of my friends doing marathons lately its kind of getting me more motivated, so hopefully i finally dedicate todoing one. Congratulations, that's awesome!

Perry, Christi and Logan said...

Holy cow Brit-
you were teeny in high school!
Loved all the pictures!