Friday, October 30, 2009

31 for 21

I just read SuSu's post and I was reminded of an experience Grant and I had almost 7 years ago. It was the night before we were leaving to spend Thanksgiving with Grant's family. We got a call from the Dr's office saying that they got my blood tests back from some prenatal work and it indicated that our chances of having a down syndrome baby were significantly more likely than normal. I am not sure we knew how to react. I had grown up with two special DS children, so my exposure and love was great. Grant on the other hand had little exposure. Many things flashed through my mind...how the future I had envisioned for us might now have to be altered.

We were off the Utah only wanting to tell our parents about the experience so it was not the focus of the vacation. We had a wonderful time, and upon return we had an ultrasound and appt with a geneticist. It was quickly discovered that a mistake was made in the lab, and my due date was off, so our blood tests no longer indicated higher chances. I cannot recall if we felt relief, I am sure....but I am also sure I had a twinge of sadness not having the honor of having a extra special little one in our care.

After James was born and we settled into a normal routine for us, I kept having this feeling that our next little baby would be Down Syndrome. I never knew why I felt that way, but I know I felt it more than once and felt it strong. It was interesting to me when I learned that my feelings were for the next baby in the family, and not specifically my next baby. Eight months after James was born, little William surprised us all (especially his parents) by coming to the earth with a little something extra.

Though there is a a sadness in change of dreams and reality I am sure, there was a special tenderness I felt from the very beginning. Since that time I have learned a great from my family, esp the Easterlings. One of my first thoughts 7 years ago was that Grant and I would not be able to serve a mission together. How wrong I was and how I can picture Kimberly and Dave with William and Mary on a mission in Nauvoo, doing great things and touching many people.

I am grateful for the lessons I learn and for the unique challenges each of my family members on both side have had, I learn a d great deal and definitely admire my siblings and in laws for their strengths, perspectives and esp. their children!

3 comments:

SuSu said...

Great blog! I remember that conversation as well. Life has so many wonderful experiences for us to learn.

Kimberly said...

So great thoughts, thanks for sharing. It's interesting the memories that seem to be surfacing for us lately. So glad that we have that! And so glad I can look back and find that things aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. They are so so much better!

Regina said...

Thanks for sharing! I am often told that I was one of the chosen parents to be blessed with a ds child. I sometimes question why, but what I DO know is that Jayden is a very special spirit and feel very blessed to have him in my care!