Monday, October 4, 2010

C+...maybe a B

One of the things that plagues me is feeling like I do not have any real talents. I know that I hold myself to a ridiculous standard. It so it is silly because Grant and I have talked about it before and he feels the same way, yet I see in him amazing talents and abilities and always wish he could see himself through my eyes...so I remind myself that it is probably the same for me. That said I wish I was an A or A+ in talents (at least one) instead of feeling more like a B in several. I feel like I have the ability to do a lot of things, yet none of them really well. That is why when it comes to talent shows I proudly proclaim that my talent is supporting other people in their talents! I guess I also need to remember that we are usually looking at what we want in others (feeling like that is what we lack) while those very people are looking at us seeing what they wish they had. (Side note, even though I can become a bit envious of others, my gratitude to be surrounded by so many talented, beautiful and amazing people, more than overshadows it!) I made a commitment in my head while driving to Utah last week to stop covering my abilities (limited yet present) and share them. It will be good for me and important for my kids to see. Here is to being a B and being proud of it!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I think we all, occasionally, need to have a glimps of ourselves how others see us. Perhaps we would grade ourselves little better.
I've also thought about talents a lot. And the definition of them. Not all talents are those that are performed or seen or held by everyone else. Something I have always admired about you is your ability to make everyone feel at ease and welcome and important. That is something that is felt, which is so much better than something tangible.
XO!

Anonymous said...

Did I write this post. I am always telling came that my Talent right now is being a mother. Is that even a talent. I have this same conversation with myself all the time.

Kristy Graff said...

oh my heck girl, if you could only see yourself through MY eyes! i think you are AMAZING and super talented in so many ways, you have no idea! so stop being so hard on yourself!

Edwards trio said...

I give you an A++ in your writing. Your entries are always very well written and entertaining! Way to go..you pass with flying colors!