Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mortality

It is odd to see the mortality in a loved one. My Grandma of 85 has many health concerns (parkinsons, diabetes, a condition that makes her randomly pass out) but she is a fighter. Lately she has fallen a lot, but is one tough cookie and always bounces back. She fell again on Thursday, but this one was bad. I went to the hospital to visit her even though I did not know if she would be awake or responsive. When I first walked in it was quite shocking. It was weird to see her in the hospital first of all, but to see her having deteriorated from her normal vibrant self. What was interesting to me was what followed after the initial shock. I sat by her bed and held her hand. I could see her open her eyes, turn towards me and then in her eyes I could see that she recognized me. She cannot speak but all it took was the look in her eyes and a couple pats on the hand. Eyes are truly the window to a persons soul, and I saw that in my Nanny today!

The injury she incurred to her brain has left her body involuntarily fidgety and she trashes around. I learned quickly that holding her hands, without even talking helped her relax her body, if even for moments. She calmed down enough to even get a few winks. It was a reminder to me how powerful a simple touch can be...even a kiss that can calm and relax a person in pain or distress.

While I was there Nanny tried to talk. Papa jumped right up to her side and said, "It is okay honey, what do you want to say? Did you try and say I love you? I love you (said with such tenderness)." Nanny's mouth instantly smiled. It was so wonderful to see that deep love, a love of so long that has been through so much. That is the kind of love we all deserve. What a great example to have.

Even though mortality is rearing its head, it has allowed great awarness and reflection for me.

4 comments:

Regina said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Annie. said...

Thank you so much for posting this. We so wish we were there in Farmington this weekend. We've appreciated the updates so much, as we've been thinking about Nanny and Papa constantly. But it is especially nice to get a little more detail and hear this sweet story about Nanny and Papa. Our prayers have certainly been lifted for them this weekend.

brit said...

thanks for sharing. i have a few tears trickling down my cheeks thinking of my sweet grandma....

Mikael Squire said...

Oh this post is making me cry! I am wishing every second of the day that I am down there with Nanny. AYou captured NAnny so perfectly with her winks and the love she has always radiated without needing many words to express.