Friday, October 22, 2010

tuning out

I can tune my kids out, this I know. Sometimes Grant has to gently remind me that one of the kids is trying to talk to me. So why do I think it is okay to tune them out when it is clearly not okay for them to tune me out. I have really noticed in the last little bit. The other night I asked the kids to do something nicely three times, and no one even remotely responded to my voice. Grant followed me with the same request, and on the first try the kids jumped into action. He is constantly telling them to obey me and to do so the first time. The other day I was thinking that I should try and go a full day without raising my voice. That very same evening I ended up yelling a demand after asking several times nice. They reacted to the yell...I hate that! Maybe if I stop tuning them out, they will return the favor.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Yup. I know how this goes. I do the same thing and end up yelling because my kids tuned me out. I need to work on this one too!

SuSu said...

I hear you. I think it is an age old problem. The kids are always with mother and tend to hear just what they want to hear but Dad comes home........new ball game!