Sunday, October 3, 2010

Teenagers

Lately I have been terrified of teenagers...specifically our kids when they are teenagers. Part of this terror is brought on by the teenagers with whom we interact in our ward. It makes me realize some of the things we will be facing in less than 6 years. Grant and I have talked about what we could do to help our kids even before we had kids, but we talk about it a whole lot now. The closer we come to those teen years, the more worried I get. Today listening to General Conference some advice was given to the parents of teenager. My ears perked up and my mind became alert....I need this for future reference. As I listened to the five points, I realized I need it now just as much. It also made me feel good because we are doing most of this. As I reflect on it I realize that as we do it our kids are excited, inquisitive, learning and growing...all the while hopefully building thier own strength and testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ. So I do not forget here they are:

1. Family scripture study
2. Family Prayer
3. Family Home evening
4. Family Dinner
5. Individual Interviews with each kid

I know I cannot make my kids decisions for them, but I do know I want them to be better than we were and want them to live well and be happy. I am grateful for living prophets and apostles that remind us what we can do to help. We will keep on keepin on and hold off those teen years as long as we can...but do everything possible in the mean time to help them be good confident people.

1 comment:

brit said...

i loved that talk too! i too am terrified, and i am only a few years away. scarey!! you guys have great kids, and i am constantly impressed with what great parents you and grant are.