Monday, October 13, 2008

You call that a dream?

Grant has a dream to one day own a ranch were we have a huge garden with all manner of vegetables, fruit trees, chicken, cows, horses etc. That sounds like a nightmare to me...all the work that it would require. Not to mention, I do not consider myself much of an animal person. I told him he could have his dream if I did not have to take care of or clean up after the animals. I asked him why that was a dream and he explained that the thought of being self-sustained was very appealing to him. Since we cannot do to that now, we are doing our best to use what we have and be prepared. We have a peach tree and this year it produced a lot of fruit. So as not to waste what we had, we skinned, sliced and froze a great deal of peaches. The picture of the peaches in the bags are just a portion of what we have in the freezer. We also have been talking about getting our 72 hour kits ready for almost a year, and we finally got it done! The rest of the pictures are of the stuff we got for the kits in the grocery sacks, all laid out, and in the bags we will have to take in case of an emergency. We tested it all out to make sure we can carry them and children if necessary. It all works, and we even were able to get plenty of water in there too! It is amazing what needs to be taken for little kids and babies. It does feel really good have heeded the words of the prophets and be prepared just in case. I guess I can get a glimpse of why Grant has the dream he does.



4 comments:

SuSu said...

I must confess that is my dream too; that would be my perfect world. Maybe that's where Grant gets it from or maybe he remembers when we lived on the farm and although we weren't able to have the cows and horses we did try chickens and ducks until the dog went on a hunt one night. We grew tons of vegetables and fruit. It was a wonderful time. Anyway, if you need ranch hands please consider this our application. Dad can milk a cow and I'm happy to muck the stalls.

Amy said...

Very nice. As I was reading, I thought, this sounds like mom. She confirmed my thoughts! lol! It must be genetic, but it skipped me. I don't like dirt!

Chels said...

Now you can help me get my kits together. Our goal is to have them by next conference. Are you ready for the task?

Kimberly said...

That is so funny because David has a very similar "dream." I keep telling him that he didn't marry someone who would get up every morning and milk a cow! I am so impressed with your kits, you inspire me!